Sunday, June 15, 2008

Do the French say, "Joyeux Pere Jour"?

The French probably don't need such a commemorative and commercial day for dads and moms. I hope not anyway. Nevertheless, Happy Father's Day to my daddy friends.

On weather: the flooding of the north section of the Mississippi River seems like it must be from Arctic meltdown, no? Anyway, I'd be selling riverfront property wherever I lived.

On war: a quote recorded by Maureen Dowd in today's NyTimes: "A Democratic lawmaker who saw the president in the Oval Office recently and urged him to bring the troops home from Iraq quickly recounted that W. got a stony look and replied that 41 had abandoned the Iraqis and thousands got slaughtered. “I will never do that to them,” 43 said."

My commentary: Although I understand telling yourself one narrative because it makes you feel like a hero and that's a pleasurable feeling and being wrong about Iraq would mean 4,000 Americans and 500,000 Iraqis died by your hands which would equate you more with Saddam Hussein than the hero you want to see in the mirror, but I sure wish he'd fantasize protecting and caring for U.S. troops and American citizens as much as he deludes himself that he cares about Iraqis. Loyalty is such a high for W. Then, I wonder how the 500,000 dead Iraqis feel about "not being abandoned". Oh, the depths of madness when happiness is at stake: how much historical mayhem can be attributed to this kind of stubborn delusion?

On Hollywood movies: Sometimes I see movies just to spend time with my daughter who likes so called comedy, but the movie "Evolution" was so bad, so very very bad, that I got angry having spent two hours of my life watching it. What is it with trying to cover five genres at once? It doesn't work! Name me a movie in which it works.

No comments: